The modeling from the salt dough does not leave indifferent or children nor adults, because it allows you to sculpt the figures more durable than from plasticine. At the same time, the material is much militant clay
Salt dough modeling is a very extensive topic, in the study of which it is useful and interesting to deepen. This is especially true of those who have already dealt with a similar material, or is going to be interested in spending time with their own child.
Skipping from this material is entertaining and fun, since each recipe for the preparation of the original raw materials allows you to make new and unexpected discovery for yourself, and numerous handicap options allow you to receive entertaining figures and crafts.
Universal salted dough recipe
Electrical mixer will help to achieve a welcome consistency:
- Prepare two cups of flour, in which, without changing the total volume, you can add 0.5 cup starch. Its presence will be a key to obtaining a flexible and militant mass, from which thin elements on the type of flower petals are very convenient;
- One incomplete glass of water is added to the flour, the same amount of salt and pair of PVA spoons;
- Instead of water, it is permissible to use a hubble with starch. All ingredients are mixed until the mixture acquires homogeneity and elasticity. If it came out with a liquid, boldly add the required amount of flour.
The dough plasticity can be increased by one non-hard intake, namely: to cook the kissel from one tablespoon of potato powder and two glasses of water. Transparent substance used instead of water.
Salt dough staining options
No matter how the recipe for the manufacture of the main consumable material was selected, the base for the modeling can be painted with watercolor paints, gouache or food pigments. And staining is possible to produce both in the process of kneading and after the final product will be ready.
So, for example, a real chocolate color can be obtained by using an ordinary cocoa. Also allowed a variety of experiments with collections of natural origin: soot, ocra, carrot juice, etc. If you need to achieve a natural shade, then the figure or toy from the dough is just a bake in the oven.
Tining the craft, you need to consider the fact that after drying the paint it becomes somewhat dull of your primary option. Return it brightness and saturation by varnishing. Varnish can be art or acrylic, although it is quite acceptable to use a building coating intended for wood processing, parquet, and so on.
Methods and subtleties of salt-based test
By many years of practice of using such a handicraft material, a whole list of things that are categorically not applicable to salt test.
- It is unacceptable to use flour with additives, since the finished figures can rise in the drying process or crack them at all;
- Salted dough for modeling can not be done using iodized salt. Its grains are unable to completely dissolve, making the whole mass of heterogeneous and penetrated grains. The same Council is applicable and in relation to the usual stone salt, which is pre-and necessarily dissolved in water;
- For the base, it is definitely better to use cold water, which should be poured by portions of 50 ml. After each next addition of the fluid, the mass must be mixed thoroughly. This is done because different varieties of flour behave in different ways in the process of kneading, consuming not the same amount of water;
- Initially, salt must be mixed with flour, and only then fluid is added there;
- Mass for modeling, prepared by the future, should be stored in a plastic container or polyethylene package. In the event of creative gusts, the mass gets in small pieces, otherwise it is quickly covered with a dry crust, negatively affecting the quality and aestheticness of the finished craft.
How to fix possible defects?
Even experienced masters are needed to adjust some errors that occur when working with salt test.
Consider the most common and ways to eliminate them:
- If the figures seem to you with thick, after the first stage of working with them, remove the excess material from their inner side;
- Mass turned out very soft? In a separate container, mix the flour and salt on the tablespoon, press the resulting mixture to make a ready-made material and doubt it. Do so before getting the mass of the desired density;
- Clear and cut the salt figurine directly on the contrary. The latter is pre-wetted by water. This is done for the sake of preventing the appearance of air bubbles on the back of the product;
- If the crafts dropped something, do not despair, everything is corrected using conventional PVA glue that does not leave traces of its application.
In what cases the dough can be taken or crap?
This can happen for several reasons. First, the flour may be incorrectly chosen. So, the desired strength level ensures the presence of rye flour, even if the amount of the 1st cup.
PVA or 50 g of potato powder also give plasticity. Secondly, you could make a mistake with the drying mode. If the cracks appeared after painting, then, most likely, you did not bother the craft. No need to rush and cover the product with paints and varnishes.
How to dry the dough?
If you have time, then dry the figures are better on natural conditions. But this process may take a week or more, which depends on the level of humidity in the surrounding air.
Therefore, almost all needlewomen, regardless of which recipe for a salty test for manual modeling, they used, baked their creations in the oven, while observing the simple rules:
- The oven must be set at a minimum temperature;
- Excellent if the drying is made with a dutched door;
- Crafts can not be immediately placed in the heated oven. Heating should be slowly and without drops, as well as the extraction process;
- Drying is better to carry out in several techniques: one side dries an hour, and an hour is another. Masters make peculiar breaks when the finished figure will dry in the oven or day – at room conditions.
The period of full drying is completely dependent on the thickness of the product and the recipe for which the initial mass was made. So, for example, if oil or cream was used, the drying process will be even longer.
In order, you wanted to make something else to loose from the salt dough and did not have to fight the problem of his cracking, dry the workpiece into several sites. So, for example, it can be in a rotary cabinet for an hour and a half, then the device is turned off by 2-3 hours or at all overnight, after which the whole procedure is repeated.
Regardless of whether they are sculpted from a salt dough, followed by natural drying or drying in the oven, the craft must be turned over every hour. Also consider the fact that the fresh mass and the one, which lasted in the refrigerator a few days, will be different by shade.
If you want to achieve interesting textures and patterns, use special stamps, although you can use conventional toothpicks, embossed buttons, nozzles for the confectionery syringe and so on.