What is keving? The history of quilling fakes. Materials and tools for making crafts from quilling. Forms of crafts and methods of their manufacture
Quilling is the medieval art of creationPaper compositions, both flat and volumetric, from long spirals into which narrow strips of paper are curled. The name of the technique originated from the English word, which in translation means "Bird feather".
Strangely enough, the name reflects not the finalThe result of crafts, and what they used to do, winding on the tip of a bird's feather. There is also a Russian version of the name of this paper art, which sounds more mundane "Paper winding".
The homeland of paper needlework - medieval EuropeXIV-XV century. They were engaged exclusively in monasteries. Those who are a bit familiar with the history probably know that in the Middle Ages monasteries were the focus of knowledge. There they were engaged in the management of chronicles, writing books, printing, making paper, and in fact quilling was also invented by monks and nuns.
Then to the paper because of its high cost wasThe most careful attitude. Scraps of the edges of chronicles and other documents were not thrown away, but were put into work. They were the first crafts in the quilling technique.
Now one can only imagine how one of theMonks amusing themselves with paper scraps, first twisted the spiral and created a new needlework that has successfully reached to our days. Icons, books, wood products decorated with spiral wraps of paper, creating filigree works of art with a full imitation of gold.
Unfortunately, the century of the paper is not long, therefore only the echoes of the magnificence of quilting crafts created then were reached.
Since the XVII century, papyruskrikie went beyond the gates of monasteries and turned into a hobby of ladies from the upper world, since the rest of this occupation was still too expensive.
Then about quilling for a long time and undeservedly forgotten,While in the mid-fifties of the last century this kind of art was not remembered in Korea. Eastern masters, of course, supplemented with their techniques this paper art, their work is striking in filigree, complexity and stunning attention to detail.
Tools for creating crafts from quilling
In order to create the first crafts yourHands in quilling technique, you will not need special expenses. This is a simple kind of handicraft, available in our time to everyone. All you need is sold in almost any store.
Tools for beginners:
- Paper strips, if not special, can be cut from office paper;
- Device for twisting spiral, you can make it yourself: split a small smooth stick on the end, you can also use a gypsy sewing needle with a broken eye;
- Adhesive that leaves no residue on paper;
- Toothpicks (for gluing);
- Cardboard, which serves as the basis for forgery;
- A device for cutting fringe, if you try to do without it, then you will have many tiring hours after cutting the same fringe in the thickness;
- Stencil for blanks.
Also you can buy in a specialized store a ready-made set.
How to make crafts from quilling?
There are many techniques thatFold into a unique quilling technique. All of them are based on the fact that the paper strips are twisted into a spiral. In order for you to get a good curl, which afterwards can be given any shape, pinch one of the ends of the paper strip in the twist device and wind it into several layers.
To create a tight loop, the end of the stripGlued, without removing from the device. To create a more free, remove the spiral from the needle and allow it to separate slightly, and only then glue the tip of the coil and form it into one of the models.
Forms in kvilingovyh handicrafts:
- Fringe - to give volume to the flowers. It is best if you acquire a tool to create it. To form a curl from a ribbon with a fringe, it is first accepted to gently and evenly cut the strips, and then twist the ribbon into a spiral.
- Double fringe - to create it you need to stretch a strip of paper through the cutting device twice. In this case, you should take a thick strip, because the thin can not stand and break.
- Tight spiral. As already mentioned above, twisting the curl, glue it, not removing it from the needle. This will not allow the ribbon to blossom.
- A drop. To create this model, form a free spiral and, having removed it from the twist device, squeeze one side of the curl, mold the drop itself.
- Free spiral. The curled strip is immediately removed from the needle and unwound before sticking.
- A curved drop - you need to do it as usual, and to get the desired bend one of its corners is bent.
- Arrow - in the beginning, form a free turn, then squeeze it into an equilateral triangle. After that, the two corners are pressed against each other until an original arrow is obtained.
- Semicircle - in a free curl, two corners are compressed so that one side of our workpiece becomes flat and the other bends.
- Glazik - is done by squeezing the opposite sides of a free spiral before giving it the shape of the eye.
- Rhombus - to create this figure, first make an eye, then squeeze both corners until the shape of the diamond is formed.
- Petal - a free spiral is compressed into the eye, then the corners of the eye are bent in different directions.
- An isosceles triangle - we compress a free spiral in three places, before creating a triangle.
- Crescent - make a free spiral, and then clamp the two corners and bend the part into the crescent.
- Bird's foot - we transform the curl first into a triangle, then bend its two angles towards the third and strongly press it.
- Asterisk - on the curled strip we form an asterisk, by clamping the corners with uniform passes between them.
The secret to the great popularity of handicrafts from quilling is that even for beginners it will not be difficult to literally create beautiful works literally from the first lesson.
All that is needed is patience, paper, scissors and a little imagination. And now there are wonderful works! Inspiration for you and beautiful works!