Swelling after childbirth are able to slightly dampen the joy of the newly-fledged young mother. Why edema occur after the birth and how you can quickly and effectively get rid of them?
Toxicosis, heartburn, dizziness, frequentUrination, mood changes, drowsiness and a constant sense of fatigue - the period of bearing a child for us, women, is not easy. It would seem that with the birth of a long-awaited baby all the suffering must end ...
But, alas, most of the newly mummies are familiar with such an unpleasant phenomenon as swelling after childbirth.
What it is?
Edema is an excessive accumulation of fluid in soft tissues and interstitial space. A characteristic sign of edema is the appearance of a small fovea on the skin, if 30 seconds to press on this place with your finger.
Someone swells only legs, someone - andHands, all parts of the body may also be poured, the bags under the eyes may appear. Sometimes, postpartum swelling entails breast engorgement, which, in turn, makes it impossible for a baby to have such a natural and necessary breastfeeding.
Moreover, as a result of edemas, a happyMommy is forced to wear clothes and shoes one or two sizes larger and, accordingly, there is an aesthetic problem, because at the time of the solemn discharge from the hospital, returning to her beloved husband, one wants to be slender and beautiful.
Causes of edema after childbirth
The causes of edema are obvious: During labor, the load on the woman's body increases hundreds of times, and the kidneys responsible for removing fluid from the body simply can not cope with all their duties. Usually it quickly passes itself and does not require treatment.
If, within a week, swelling after childbirth does not subside, the reasons for them may be other factors. Let's talk about them in more detail.
Problems of the urinary system. When a large accumulation of fluid in the body of a young woman is caused by incorrect kidney function, excessive amounts of salts accumulate in the blood and water retention occurs.
Problems with the kidneys, accompanied by postpartum swelling, can be determined by the following symptoms:
- Pallor and dryness of the skin;
- The skin temperature in places of edema localization does not differ from the total body temperature;
- Swelling appears rapidly and rapidly.
Often, kidney disease is indicated by swelling of the upper and lower extremities, however, often the place of localization of edema is also the face.
Diseases of blood vessels. Few people guess that the unpleasant postpartum condition of puffiness can be serious venous diseases - varicose veins, brittle vessels or even thrombophlebitis. They appear as a result of a violation of the outflow of venous blood from the lower extremities, and therefore there are swelling of the legs after childbirth.
Determine the diseases of the vessels accompanied by postpartum swelling, you can by the following features:
- On the skin of the legs appear small "Asterisks", Nodules, dark spots and other formations;
- Even after the slightest bruise or with strong pressure on the skin bruises are formed;
- Edema on the feet do not disappear even after a long rest in a horizontal position;
- Sometimes edema of the legs after childbirth, associated with varicose veins, accompanied by cramps and unpleasant tingling.
Artificial infusion. If maternal infusion was given to the vein of rhythm-stimulating drugs, edema may appear on the body approximately 6-7 days after birth. It is not worth to be afraid of, for within a few days such edemas pass independently.
Unbalanced nutrition and wrong imageLife. A strong, long-lasting non-vanishing swelling can be associated with much more simple causes, namely - with malnutrition and physical stress.
If a young mother loves "To lean on"On sour, salty, sweet or spicy,Loves conservation, then tired after nine months of double-burden kidneys simply can not cope with such work. Abuse of drinks can also lead to excessive accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
Edema after childbirth often become unchanged companions of newly mums, who spend a lot of time on their feet.
It's no secret that a newborn requiresA certain strict care and endless care, so sometimes mom has to stay awake all night, wearing a disheveled baby in her arms, and in the morning take "Day watch"- to wash, clean, cook, swaddle, bathe,Go out for walks. No wonder that as a result of constant stay on legs and enormous physical exertions the body of a young woman swells.
When do swelling usually occur after delivery?
This question, perhaps, is of interest to all women. If the puerperal (postpartum) period passes safely, swelling subsides within a few days after the baby's birth.
Puffiness on the body, as a rule, gradually,Is quietly reduced: the body gets rid of the excess fluid accumulated over nine months with the help of lousy (postpartum vaginal discharge), and the kidneys, feeling the long-awaited relief, come back to normal and begin to function as in the old days.
How quickly to remove swelling after childbirth?
And what to do when the accumulation of fluid in the body does not want to decrease after the birth of the baby and continues to annoy the happy new mother?
If you've never had a problem withCardiovascular system, you do not know what varicose veins are and the problems with the kidneys, it is quite possible to remove the hated swelling after childbirth can be done by performing simple rules:
- Correct your diet - do not abuse fatty, sweet, fried, from salted for a while it's better to refuse altogether or minimize the consumption of this seasoning;
- Drink no more than one and a half - two liters of liquid per day (however, you can not limit yourself in drinking if you are a nursing mother);
- Coffee drinks and black tea substitute for juices, kissels, compotes, usual purified water, herbal infusion, kefir or fermented baked milk;
- If the postnatal edema is localized on the legs, rest more often in a horizontal position, placing the pillow under the legs so that they are above the head;
- Make baths for legs and hands using sea salt or medicinal herbs that have a diuretic effect (mint, juniper fruit, chamomile, birch leaves);
- Take a contrast shower several times a day;
- A good effect is pulling underwear (compression pantyhose).
But to drink without consulting a doctor diureticsMeans (especially synthetic ones) and take medication during breast-feeding can not be, since what the mother is feeding and drinking is always passed on to the baby.
If swelling after childbirth does not go away even afterCompliance with the diet and use of the above funds, the problem should be sought in some disease. In this case, seek the advice of an experienced therapist - it will help determine the causes of puffiness and, if necessary, refer you to a phlebologist (specialist studying venous diseases) or a cardiologist.
Do not forget that postpone visit to a specialist for later is not worth it, this is fraught with aggravation of a possible disease. Be healthy!