What are the symptoms of lactose deficiency in children and what are the treatment methods? What parents need to know if a child has lactose insufficiency
Unpleasant sensation in the abdomen after takingSour milk products or bloating after a servings of a seal can talk about lactose intolerance by the baby's body. And what if a similar phenomenon is observed at the tenderest age, when the baby is just beginning to get acquainted with the outside world and eating only maternal milk?
What is lactose deficiency and how to deal with it, we will consider in our today's article.
What it is?
Lactose insufficiency is nothing more than aIntolerance of consumption of dairy products, which arises from the lack of enzyme necessary for the digestion of lactose in the intestinal cavity. Thus, people suffering from this disease, can not use products of milk origin, which do not split in the body.
If for adults this point is solved enoughSimply by adjusting the diet, then lactose deficiency in newborns is already a more serious problem. After all, the main component of the baby's nutrition is breast milk, which contains a lot of useful substances is vital for the baby for growth and development.
But in my mother's milk, as well as most infant formula milk formula contains lactose, which is the cause of intestinal problems.
In order for it to be absorbed in the body of the breastChildren, it is necessary to have a special enzyme called lactase. But if it is not enough, the absorption of milk sugar is disrupted, and products with its content are poorly tolerated by the body. In children under the age of one year this problem is quite common and arises from several reasons.
Causes of lactose intolerance:
- Birth before the term. This is due to the fact that the enzyme begins to be produced in the body of the future crumbs from 24 weeks and then rapidly grows. The organism of premature babies simply does not have time to start this process at full strength;
- Genetic predisposition. Passed by heredity from parents, and, unfortunately, does not lend itself to complete cure;
- Violation of the production of lactase due to some disease. In this case, the main thing is to find the main reason, and then the problem will be solved automatically;
- Dysbacteriosis of the intestine, arising from imbalance in the feeding regime of the baby. These signs can be seen in the first weeks of a child's life and pay special attention to them.
In addition, lactose deficiency is classified into 2 levels.
Primary - speaks about partial intolerance of lactose and is accompanied by preservation of the surface of enterocytes.
Secondary - a characteristic sign of lactoseInsufficiency in infants is a violation of the surface of cells that produce the necessary enzyme and in this case there is a complete intolerance to milk sugar.
The main symptoms of lactose insufficiency look like this:
- The baby has a loose stool that contains mucus and undigested food particles. It can be very frequent up to 10 times a day, or, on the contrary, it is absent and requires additional stimulation;
- When feeding, the baby is restless;
- The baby has a bloating;
- A crumb does not gain pounds or, in general, lose weight;
- The child arches at feeding and often cries;
- Frequent increased gas production.
To confirm the diagnosis is usually appointedAnalysis of feces for lactose insufficiency. If it reveals an increased sugar content within 1%, high acidity and the presence of fatty acids, then it is worth considering about the treatment of lactose intolerance.
With primary lactose deficiency problemsWith the processing of dairy products can remain throughout life, but they are not absolute and compensated for by other beneficial bacteria that are produced by the intestinal microflora. Therefore, in this case, special treatment is not required, and just need time to establish the work of the intestinal system of the baby.
Treatment of lactose insufficiency of the second orderPresupposes therapeutic measures to eliminate dysbiosis and accompanying enzymatic disorders. As a rule, lactase intake and the use of special mixtures on a medical basis are prescribed.
In this case, breast-feeding can besuspend. But if the baby does not gain weight and the situation does not change, then the doctor can recommend completely switching to lactose-free formula and stop breastfeeding.
Thus, we considered in detail the problemLactose insufficiency in infants and found out the points to which parents should pay attention. If you suspect that your baby's body does not produce enough lactase - do not panic and seek medical attention. The doctor will carry out the necessary analysis and if the diagnosis is confirmed, will appoint the appropriate treatment.
Health to you and your child!