Today there is a huge selection of different drugs for cough in children. Let us find out how to choose mucolytic, expectorants and antitussives
Of course, nobody likes to get sick and do not want. Therefore, any disease we're trying to say goodbye as soon as possible, but if the illness defeated favorite kid - and even more so.
The need for proper selection of the drug
The most common symptom in many diseases is a chest cough.
It can occur in infectious and inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system: bronchitis, colds, tracheitis, pneumonia, etc...
In diseases of the respiratory tract in childrenpediatricians usually recommend the use of drugs that are either liquefied sputum or improve her department or just cropped cough. These include both natural and synthetic agents.
If you have a cough in a child should beimmediately show the pediatrician that will help accurate diagnosis and recommend appropriate treatment. Assign your child a particular drug yourself in any case it is impossible, because the self can be detrimental to health. This is especially true kids infants.
Wrong selection of drugs, incorrect dosage may not only ease the condition crumbs, but also exacerbate it.
In today's article we will look at a list of common permitted in our country means to eliminate cough in children and adolescents.
Classification of Cough Medicine for Children
All medications for the treatment of diseases of the respiratory system can be divided into three types:
- mucolytic (mucolytics);
Let us consider in detail each of them.
Mucolytic prescribed to children with productivecough with thick, viscous sputum trudnootdelimoy. These drugs affect the elasticity and viscosity of mucus, phlegm, eliminate the breeding ground for its reproduction.
These drugs, in turn, are divided into two subspecies:
- accelerate sputum;
- reducing mucus.
The most effective and common mucolytics for children are the following drugs.
- "Acetylcysteine". This medicine reduces the severity of inflammationprocess. Available in the form of a white crystalline powder, readily soluble in water. Appointed kids older than 2 years in all cases of disease with the accumulation in the bronchial tree, and upper respiratory tract viscous and thick mucus;
- "Ambrokso". Analogues of funds - "Flavamed". "Haliksol". "Ambrobene". "Ambrogeksal". "Lasolvan". Showed children older than 2 years in the form of syrup for the treatment of respiratory diseases associated with phlegm;
- "Fluimucil". Appointed with tracheitis, bronchitis,pneumonia, lung abscess, laryngotracheitis, accompanied by phlegm. Assign children older than 2 years. In the presence of viscous mucus in the bronchi requires a combination of ingestion and inhalation, granules;
- It's important to know! Babe under 2 years are prohibited to give mucolytics,because the risk of side effects outweigh the potential benefits. For the first time it imposed a ban on the relatively recently - in 2010 in France, where it has been proved mucolytics negative impact on children's health.
Only in exceptional cases, for health reasons, some mucolytics (eg, "Fluimucil") Can be administered for the treatment of cough for children up to a year. Typically, such crumbs provide drug as a solution or a spoon of feeding bottles.
In other cases, kids who have not reached the age of two, the traditional non-pharmacological treatment is prescribed: washing nozzle, drinking plenty of fluids, moisturizing the air in the room and so on.
Note! Mucolytics should not be given during dry cough that accompanies flu or SARS.
Expectorant drugs overwhelmingly represented by means of plant origin. They stimulate the expectoration of phlegm from the respiratory tract.
Conventionally, all expectorants may be divided into two types:
- reflex actions. These medications can irritate the mucous membranes
digestive tract, which in turn,excites the vomiting center in the brain. As a result, there is no vomiting, but in airway mucus production increases, increases peristalsis muscles of the bronchi. The result of these processes is to facilitate expectoration;
- Direct resorptive action. These funds have learned in the digestive tract, causing irritation of the bronchial tubes, which increases the secretion of mucus liquid.
Unlike mucolytics, expectorants are allowed to give their children until they reach the age of two (and even babies) for the treatment of bronchitis and other respiratory diseases.
Among expectorants presented in our market leading products are as follows.
- "Mukaltin" (Marshmallow extract). Marshmallow herb helps stimulate peristalsis bronchioles and thins bronchial secretions. Appointed "Mukaltin" kiddies older than one year. Before reaching the age of five kids should dissolve the tablet formulation in a third cup of boiled water;
- Syrup of licorice root. This herbal drug is prescribed to kidsthe first months of life. It has not only an expectorant, but also anti-inflammatory and antiviral action. It is important to observe the dosage is correct;
- "Gedelik". This syrup-based extract of ivy leaves, not containing alcohol. It is used for the treatment of acute respiratory diseases and relieve symptoms of bronchial inflammatory diseases. "Gedeliks" allowed even children under the age of one month;
- "Pertussin". This combined medication has oncethree properties: expectorant, mucolytic and antitussive. I recommend it to both adults and children with diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract, accompanied by the formation of a viscous sputum trudnoothodyaschey. "Pertussin" It is available as a syrup and has a pleasant sweet taste that kids really like.
Note! Upon receipt of mucolytics and expectorants medications should be more than usual, to give the baby liquid. This can be a home compote, juice, juice, weak tea or infusion.
These funds are administered to children and adolescents under unproductive, dry cough, which disrupts sleep and appetite, and therefore adversely affects the development of children.
If the cough is dry, it must first be translated into the wet, and only then take expectorants or mucolytic drugs.
Also in non-productive cough in a child pediatrician may prescribe a combined means of providing and expectorant and antitussive effect.
- "Gerbion". Syrup-based plantain prescribed to children with a dry cough. The drug is recommended for children with primrose with productive (wet) cough. "Herbie" allowed crumbs over the age of two;
- "Sinekod". This drug blocks the center in the brain is notproviding at the same inhibitory effect on the respiratory center. Assigned only with a dry cough. Available drug syrup and drops and allowed babies older than 2 months;
- "Stoptussin". Appointed in infectious and inflammatory diseases, to eliminate the exhausting dry cough in children. The drug, made in Israel, allowed kiddies older than 6 months. "Stoptussin" Czech production is only possible to apply the kids to celebrate a one year old. Available in the form of drops that can be dissolved in tea, juice or compote.
This medicine is not indicated for productive cough.
It is important! Antitussives can not be independently combined with mucolytics and expectorants medications.
This, of course, not the entire list of medicines, and choose from dozens of options appropriate to your kid it is simply impossible to cure.
Positive effect of treatment can only be achieved if pediatricians and parents are consistently and deliberately.